I'm back...

I guess that last post means I'm breaking four months of self-imposed blog silence. It's hard to believe that it's been that long; it goes against my nature to be that quiet.

Where have I been? Right here, all the time. But after a year of uncertainty due to the impending change in leadership in my organization, and another year of ramping up to handle some changed and increased expectations, I was tired. Add to that the fact that in my spare time (!) I was working with a great team to help form a suburban, denominational church with an emerging ethos, and quickly switched into trying to end that experiment well, and I was a little more worn out. The part of my soul/brain that has been processing the experience of the church-that-is-emerging was a little bruised.

I've, of course, been processing none-the-less. (Maybe too much. Ask my wife.) And as St. James died I joined with some friends and faithful Christians to birth a small faith community, gathering mainly in homes. You may be as surprised as I was that this actually reduced the amount of free (?) time I had for blogging, sleeping and other necessary pursuits.

While it was good to go under the radar, ultimately it helps me, my writing and my spiritual discipline to inflict some of my processing on the web (specifically, you, dear reader!). I'll try not to let four months go by again, though I'm going to try to write only when I think I have something new to say.

Two years ago when I started this blogventure, I selected "explorations in ecclesia and other adiaphora" as my subtitle. I had no idea than just how much of an explorer I'd be led to become. It's a lot of work, this exploring. It's also fun, fruitful, rewarding. It's what the late singer Jim Croce used to call "character development." Mostly, it's the path to which I've been called, me and a collection of fellow travelers. So what else can I do, but put one foot in front of the other?
O God, you have called your servants to ventures of which we cannot see the ending, by paths as yet untrodden, through perils unknown. Give us faith to go out with good courage, not knowing where we go, but only that your hand is leading us and your love supporting us; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
(Evening Prayer, Evangelical Lutheran Worship p317)

Comments

Popular Posts