Let it be


(Jumping back in where we are, with the pray-as-you go podcast for 12/20/2006, based on Luke 1:26-38)

When I envision Gabriel's visit to Mary, I see something like Tanner's Annunciation, a remarkable image of God's kingdom breaking into ordinary life. I feel for the angel -- like Zechariah, Mary asks "How can this be?" If I were Gabriel (not possessing the certainty of God's mind that an angel has) I would wonder about this message I'm delivering.

But Mary hears the angel's strange explanation, one implausible to skeptical, scientific ears, and says "Here I am. Let it be with me according to your word." A simple, trusting answer, confident in the midst of impending change and great uncertainty. How do I become that trusting when stepping off into the unknown?

Comments

Popular Posts